Texas Parks and Wildlife Policy

Allows drone flight without a permit on only two State Parks – the San Angelo State Park, and Martin Dies Jr. All other State Parks will require a filming permit issues by park authorities.

House Bill 1481 (2015)

Prohibits the flight of drones over critical infrastructure facilities below 400 feet above ground level. Violation of this rule is considered a Class B misdemeanor.

Critical Facilities

Critical facilities include—but are not limited to—power plants, hospitals, military installations, water treatment plants, oil and gas facilities, and courthouses, etc.

House Bill 1424 (2017)

Declares the operations of drones over certain sports venues, critical infrastructures, and correctional and detention facilities without permission to be a criminal offense.

House Bill 912 (2013)

  • Identifies lawful uses of drones.
  • Makes it illegal to capture, use, possess, or distribute images of individual and property without their consent.
  • Elements of this law had been declared unconstitutional by a ruling of District Judge Robert Pitman of the Western District of Texas. According to the ruling, it impinges on users’ freedom to collect and create content as protected by the First Amendment.

Senate Bill 840 (2017)

  • Identifies circumstances where capturing images using a drone are considered lawful. These include scholarly research and development by an institution of higher education, operations of an insurance company in connection with the underwriting of an insurance policy, among others/
  • Allows for capturing images by drone of property or persons within 25 miles of the US border for the sole purpose of ensuring border security

House Bill 1643 (2017)

Prohibits local governments from controlling UAS regulations except during special events such as festivals and other legal gatherings.

Texas Administrative Code 65.152

Prohibits the use of drones to count, hunt, photography, capture, relocate, or take wildlife and exotic animals. Exceptions apply to drone pilots who have an official Aerial Management Permit (AMP) or a written landowner authorization.